Monday, June 7, 2010

Cake Makeover

This is what Rob's cake was supposed to look like.
Half-Birthday
Only chocolate instead of lavender. But that was basically what I was going for.

Fortunately, I nailed it for Westley's half-birthday celebration. The half-birthday boy himself thought so, anyway. He'd watch me bake it, but the finished product still came off as a total surprise.
Half-Birthday
Westley didn't wait for me to cut him a piece. He decided to help himself while I was getting plates and a knife.
Half-Birthday
In keeping with my baked-goods-as-self-portraiture theme, though, the inside of the cake (which was supposed to be lovely, marble-y, swirly deliciousness) was a total mess.
Half-Birthday
But it was delicious, and it reminded me that I really can make a cake from scratch without having a complete emotional breakdown.

And - most importantly - it made a two-and-a-half-year-old boy very, very happy.

.....................................