Thursday, September 17, 2009

Eating for Two...

...Even though it's just me. Sad right? No, it's all good! I'm preparing for that second person.

Last week I had an awesome opportunity thanks to the generosity of Pulling Down the Moon, to chat with one of their nutritionist, Sadie Wells, who specializes in fertility nutrition. It's really pumped me up, and gotten me all into eating better. ... Did you notice anything different? I crossed that off my Baby Bucket List!

I know it's just been a few weeks, but it's more effort than I've EVER put into this before, and I think it's a habit I'll be able to keep.

Nutrition is one thing I wanted to get down before getting pregnant to both help with that effort, as well as to help create good incubating quarters for my future mini me.

I am eating a daily dose of veggies everyday now (I usually steam broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots). As well as fruit (usually apples and bananas) along with rice (I switched to brown) bread (still on white.. So sad I know) and a huge difference.. I've been eating breakfast!

As long as I can remember I haven't been a big breakfast fan. I don't like scrambled eggs, not a huge pancake fan, HATE grits (I know, and I'm a southern girl, it's sad) and it's usually just too early for me to have an appetite.

After talking to Sadie, she really gave me the motivation I needed to get my to TRY to eat something in the morning. I started with an apple, some orange juice and some granola. After my body adjusted to that I've been adding more things and now I'm eating a full-fledged (pretty healthy breakfast: I usually eat granola with blueberries, and strawberries; some yogurt, a bagel, orange juice; a Bellybar, and herbal tea.

I also found a way and eggs that I like. I like them hard boiled, and I'll just eat the whites, but I also like them fried... When you cook it on both sides, and crack the yoke and cook it too. I sometimes will cut the yoke out and just eat the whites. It's YUMMY!

And speaking of eggs... One thing Sadie and I talked about was organic foods. I posted before about trying to eat more organic and starting small with yogurt and eggs. I've upped it a little bit. I'm buying more organic fruit... But pretty much just the kind I eat a lot... Apples, strawberries. Stuff like that. I'm not going crazy but the big thing is I'm trying and I'm learning!

What are your thoughts on organic foods? I'd love your take!

Sadie sent me a great list with a rundown of how much to try to eat in a day ie: 1 apple = 1 serving of fruit and I should try to eat 3 servings a day. That's been an easy way to break it down versus counting calories or something crazy like that, which would be hard for me to do right now.

One challenge for me is drinking enough water. Eight glasses a day is hard to remember, so I'm going to try to buy one of those half-gallon jug things, fill in the beginning of the day and try to drink it all before the day's over.

I do get quite a bit of my water from my herbal fertility tea from Pulling Down the Moon and from warm water with lemon. I didn't know this before reading Fully Fertile, but fertility is a warm process, and digestion should be warm too, so eating, or drinking something warm during meal time helps the whole process.

I know a lot of my lady friends out there right now are trying to have a baby, or maybe getting ready to! So I've decided to give a gift to one of you... (Or maybe you could give it to one of your friends!). And let one winner choose two ARTeas of your choice! I'll have them sent directly to you.

The ARTeas aren't made to diagnose, treat or prevent diseases, but they are GREAT for calming your mind during each phase of your cycle. There are four different kinds for each phase. As it says on their site:

Nourish ~ This fortifying blend of partridgeberry, raspberry leaves and blueberry helps strengthen and support a woman’s reproductive system and is recommended in preparation prior to beginning a fertility cycle.

Implantation ~ A calming blend of chamomile and other citrus flavors for use during the stressful “two week wait” to help relax the mind and body. Safe to drink during pregnancy, too!

Ovulation Support ~ The invigorating flavors of spearmint, lemon and ginger provide gentle support during ovarian stimulation in a medicated cycle. Also appropriate during the follicular phase of natural conception cycles.

Cleanse ~ A purifying blend to support the body's natural ability to detoxify. Perfect in-between fertility cycles and after a failed cycle. May help relieve symptoms of fatigue and sluggishness that are common after use of fertility medications. Combine with any of Pulling Down the Moon's professional detoxes. Not appropriate during pregnancy or during medicated cycles.

They hooked me up to try all of them, and it's hard for me to recommend my favorite. I love drinking each of them with breakfast and to have something nice and warm with any of my meals during the day.

So read the ingredients and think of which two you'll want if you win!

Here's the rules:
1. You have to be a follower of my blog to enter (or become a follower!)
2. Visit Pulling Down the Moon's website and in the comments section, let me know something that interest you, or something you learn.

That's all! But if you want more ways to enter leave additional comments if you:
-Become a Facebook Fan of Pulling Down the Moon
-Become a Facebook Fan for my blog
-Subscribe
to my blog
-You favor my blog on Technorati
-Vote for me on Top Baby Blogs (per day/computer) (just click the link)
-You Tweet/ Facebook about this contest (every day you tweet is an extra entry!) Please say: "I just entered @futuremama's #giveaway for #fertility tea from Pulling Down the Moon http://clicky.me/Gk
"
-Leave a comment on one of my posts for Conceive Magazine
(2 entries)
-You have my blog button (3 entries, so leave 3 comments)
-You post about this contest (3 entries)
-Vote for my blog in the 2009 Bloggers Choice Awards
(worth 5 entries! So leave 5 comments- EACH email account you vote under is 5 entries :) )
*new*- Vote for my Blog in the Love this Site Awards- (5 entries) (per vote per account)

Giveaway ends October 9th 11:59pm! Goodluck!

Tomorrow I'm starting a BIG contest for a BIG cause! I hope you'll stop by to help out, and enter!