Monday, October 25, 2010

How to Make a Tutu Dress: What I'm Making Monday

Before Lil' J was born I already had about six tutus and three tutu dresses made for her. I posted a tutu making tutorial already, but tutu dresses are even more fun, especially for little babies and in my opinion, they're easier to make!

I didn't want to pay $40+ on something I could make for $5 so I learned how to make them myself.

I was making one for my friend While Sol Sleeps, so I took photographs along the way to show you how it's done.
First, what you'll need is tulle, a crocheted tube top (which can be made of you cut the tie at the end of a big beanie, or you can buy 6in crocheted headbands here), tulle, sissors, and whatever embellishments you want: flowers, ribbon, etc.

1. Cut the tulle in lengths that you like. I buy my tulle by the roll at Hobby Lobby. It's rolled up 6in wide which is perfect for tutus. Then I cut the strips 20in long since it'll be folded in half and become a 10in tutu.
2. Fold a tulle strip in half, and push the hoop part through a bottom crochet hole in the tutu top.
3. Pull the other end of the tulle through the loop to make a easy knot, pull it tight.
4. Repeat all the way around the crocheted top.
5. Add the flower, and ribbon embellishments to finish it off. I make the flower detachable on a silver hair clip so it can be a hairbow, or clip onto the dress!
What do you think? Don't think you can make one? Ourlittletutus.com sells cute tutu dresses for an affordable price!

Also, I'll give away a small pink and black tutu dress to a commenter who comments on this post before November 1st. Lil' J wore it once to model for this picture, then out grew it!
Sneaky princess
If you want an extra entry (or just feel like showing off your creation), participate in What I'm Making Monday. Link up your What I'm Making post!

(I'm still getting used to this Linky thing, so bare with me while I try to figur this stuff out!)
What I'm Making Monday


(highlight ctl+c)