Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Franks Big Ones: Sponsor #22

Short story: I.. The self-proclaimed "Baby Makin' Machine," found making a baby isn't as easy as I had hoped. So to take my mind off baby makin' I'm spending a month raising money to help March of Dimes babies. Read the long story about how this fundraiser got started here!
Read my latest TTC update here.

My hungry readers are going to want some of these. Have a sweet tooth? Just plain like cookies? Well take a look at these... Probably the biggest cookies you've ever seen! Look at these compared to Chips Ahoy!

But what's even cooler is their story behind Frank's Big Ones ... How they got into creating the cookies! Here's their story:
"We are that family. You know the one. The one down the street with a minivan full of children and bikes and toys scattered all over the yard. We have five children, who I refer to as el Cinco de Mio on my blog, I'm a Smart One. Raising our 8-year old girl/boy twins, 6-year old son, 4-year old daughter, and our 9-year old nephew keeps things deliciously insane here. With four natural children, we may not seem like the word "infertile" applies to us, but it does.

According to Resolve.org, infertility is defined as:

A disease or condition of the reproductive system often diagnosed after a couple has one year of unprotected, well-timed intercourse or if the woman suffers from multiple miscarriages. Infertility affects approximately 10% of the population.

Given the fact that my husband Frank and I tried to conceive month after month for 2.5 years with no success, we found ourselves in the midst of that unfortunate 10%. Thankfully, our journey into Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) was brief and uncomplicated. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS) and was prescribed Clomid to kick my ovaries into obedience. This is the easiest of all ART, and we were very lucky and blessed to conceive our three pregnancies with the help of Clomid.

Many other infertiles, however, have to endure much more invasive, time-consuming, and costly ART procedures such as IUI and IVF to build their families. Others become parents via adoption. Some people, sadly, lose their precious babies to miscarriage, stillbirth, and neonatal demise due to prematurity or other complications. For many, the road to becoming parents is a long and hard one, and some even eventually choose to resolve their infertility by moving on to living their lives child-free.

On the spectrum of infertility, we definitely had it easy. Thank you, God.

Several months after our fourth child was born, I became pregnant again -- with another man's baby. He was overjoyed. So was his wife. So was Frank. You see, I was a gestational surrogate, and the baby I carried was conceived via IVF transfer of my intended parents' embryo. The baby was 100% genetically the child of his parents. As many surrogates like to say, I was just the "oven," and I helped a wonderful couple become parents. Becoming a gestational surrogate is my way of showing gratitude for the blessings that have been given to me. It is my way of giving back, of paying it forward.

I blog about my life as a gestational surrogate, infertility, and my family within the ALI (Adoption, Loss, and Infertility) blogging community. This community is largely responsible for how Frank's cookie shop came to be:
Girl meets boy in high school.
Girl and boy get married after high school.
Girl becomes a teacher. Boy joins the Army.
Girl freaks when Boy is diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
Girl calms down. Boy is medically retired and is an amazing stay-at-home-dad.
Girl and boy have four kids and also raise Girl's nephew.
Girl writes a blog. Boy bakes big cookies.
Girl brags about Boy's cookies on her blog.
Girl's blogger friends demand to eat some of Boy's cookies.
Girl gets BIG IDEA. Boy says, 'Oh crap!'

And thus, Frank's Big Ones bakery was born."The Etsy site that is linked above is currently under reconstruction, but they are still taking orders. Though it's currently in vacation mode, feel free to explore through their Etsy shop to view additional cookie pictures and read the pages of positive feedback that we've already received. Though the Etsy shop is currently closed, we're still taking orders! If you're interested in seeing an updated cookie list with new varieties and current prices, please send an email to SmartOneKym@gmail.com for more information.
You can also win an order of these gigantic, delicious-looking cookies by donating to our fund raiser!

If you donate just $1 to the charity I'll give you 1 free ticket to win this prize from Frank's Big Ones! Not only are you helping a charity but you get 1 ticket in our GIANT drawing! You can donate by clicking the "chip in" button to the right or by clicking here. (Paypal is NOT associated with the drawing, just with donations. Questions about the drawing? Email me at babymakingmachine{at}gmail.com)

This is just one of more than 40 prizes (worth over $1500) that's up for grabs in the drawing! See the full list here. 100% of the funds raised are going to March of Dimes, to help save babies!

Read how this got started here!
Check out all of the prizes here!
Enter my 2nd Cutest Baby Contest here!
Have a giveaway? List it here! Offer extra entries to your peeps for donating!