Friday, March 12, 2010

New Mom - Picking a Crib



Our friend Lindsay over from
PennyPeople.com, who also does graphic design work for us, is expecting her first baby this summer. Like all of our new Moms (and Dads!) Lindsay is in the process of picking out all the necessities for baby. We've invited Lindsay will do a series of posts about her picks, which will hopefully help our other Mom-to-be's out there. Click here to read more on Lindsay and others....



When I found out I was expecting, I was absolutely overjoyed like all new parents. One of the things that has kept me occupied, apart from reading all of the books on preparing me for our new addition, was focusing on our nusery design. I was delighted when Dear-Born asked me to share my shopping fun after I posted on our home blog about our crib. We're working on a budget on our end, so we're trying to incorporate new (like the crib) with some older pieces.

I'm a pretty big design nut on this end, having recently gone through a series of renos which my husband and I documented on our home blog. Thinking about designing a nursery was exciting as oh-the-fun you could have with different looks. I contemplated a lot of crib styles but fell in love with one particular look called the "Jenny Lind".

The Jenny Lind style of crib was popular when I was a baby 30 years ago. The crib has been been gaining visibility once again by popular blogs and awesome room designs that are encorporating the traditonal crib into modern day designs. Here is one picture that inspired me...
MakingItLovely_Crib
Ebony Jenny Lind Crib via Making it Lovely
(To see more inspirational pictures head on over to my
home blog where I've posted more) :)
I hadn't seen the Jenny Lind crib at the store, but I thought I'd ask if they knew about this style of bed. I was estatic to learn that although it wasn't on the floor at the store, it could be ordered! And, to make it even more appealing, the crib was under $300. Right on budget. :) (so my tip here is...it always pays to ask!)

We built the crib just last week and posted it on our home blog but here it is again so you can see how it is so far working in the room. I'm working on other elements (hence the empty frame that is propped up on the crib!)

nursery_7
Image via our home blog

But I also realized the crib wasn't enough! Baby needed a mattress. :)

We decided to buy a mattress when we were at the store picking up the crib. I asked Hope, my awesome guide around the store that day, what Mattress she would recommend and she pointed out the Jupiter Health Assure Mattress ($229.99). She pointed out that this particular mattress had 2 sides. A firm side for baby and a softer side for Toddlers. When I asked why the 2 sides, she told me that pediatricians recommend firmer mattresses for babies. As I read on About.com when I got home...

" Soft mattresses seem like a good choice from an adult perspective, but babies need a more solid sleep surface since they can't move themselves out of positions where their face sinks into the mattress if they get turned over."

Seems logical!
I also liked the fact that it had an unbleached, organic mattress cover that was made from 100% Certified Organic Cotton. Needless to say, this baby has one nice mattress, and it's probably beter than the one I sleep on. :)

And there you go! We picked our crib. Now I just need bedding. :)