Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Do These Pants Make My Butt Look Big?"-- "No, But Your Diaper Does": Cloth Diaper Experiment Week 2

Call me vain, but one of my concerns with putting Little J in cloth diapers was them not fitting under her adorable clothes.

Now thank goodness, 95% of her wardrobe is made up of dresses, so it's not a huge deal that her bum is now the size of a grapefruit--A big one--Thanks to her cloth diapers. I just have to be sure that what little part of her diaper that is showing, matches her ensemble.

Some say this is a misconception but I'm here to tell the truth... Cloth diapers DO make babies butts bigger! But to me this is a big fat "DUH!"

Luckily, with Little J's Sprout Change diapers, we haven't had a big problem with getting her clothes on, UNLESS I double up the layers of inserts. When I add an extra piece of cloth in there her booty is a balloon.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like that sort of look. Some people like big butts. I, by habit, find myself spanking her bum all day just because it's fun to hear and it's soft--I dunno, it's a strange obsession. If she was standing and were to fall she'd have a lot of cushion to soften her fall, that's for sure.

But back to the dilemma-- Cloth diapers and clothes.

I was watching Lil' J on my day off and her daddy had to work. It was my second full day of being with her and changing her new diapers all day, while he's used them full time for the past week. I must say I have a whole new level of respect for my husband because I was changing her diaper what felt like every hour!

Every time she'd get wet she'd get cranky and fussy (which could be tied in with teething but really, wouldn't you if you're sitting in your own puddle?), and I was curious if adding an extra layer of microfiber would help her sleep and maybe not feel it at much.

I have 10 Bum Genius inserts I bought originally thinking I'd use them in my gDiapers, before I learned that you can't put microfiber right against your baby's bum (it over-dries their skin) so I took one out, and placed it under her organic Sprout Change insert and voilĂ ! A big absorbent butt!... I mean diaper.

When I was performing this experiment it kinda reminded me of that scene from Teen Mom where Farrah forgot diapers for Sophia when they were at the car cleaners, so she asked for towels and she wrapped a bunch of hand towels around her daughter's butt and tried to put her pants back on.

It worked-- For both of us. Little J was able to take a long nap and when she woke up both layers were soaked! But it didn't leak from the waterproof cover and I guess she didn't feel it as much. Or maybe she was just really tired. The downside was the appearance, but we were just hanging out all day so no one saw her lowriding her pants.
cloth diaper big butt
I pulled her bottoms up as much as I could but the crotch of the pants stopped short, stuck on her diaper.

Same goes when she wears her FuzziBunz... Her Bunz are HUGE!
cloth diaper butt
She's already a big girl wearing 6-9 month clothes at 3 months, but I guess cloth diapers may mean we'll need an even bigger size for some things.

Luckily she won't need to wear so many cloth layers unless she's napping (if we want her to nap more than 15 minutes). Other than nap time her Sprout Change diapers are nice, slim and sleek, like her disposables would be. Some other diapers I have (like gDiapers and most all in ones) are a little bigger, and check out this one...
big diaper
...To be used when we visit Utah in the winter.

I'm not sure why this even bothers me. Maybe because I'm a woman and I know no woman wants a humongous butt. I, personally could use a little more junk in my trunk, and sometimes I'm in a hurry to the bathroom. Do they make cloth diapers for women?


Three people who comment on this post before October 25th at 11:59pm will win 250 business cards from PrintRunner.com. The cards can be full color, black & white, printing on one side or two sides, glossy or matte - it's up to you to choose! Follow @printrunner on twitter for an extra entry.