Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Crash

Christmas Morning

I spent all of December 26th in my pajamas. Yesterday I took a 3-hour nap. Today, I'm finally feeling a little more like a fully-functioning human, though I'm still trying to shake this holiday hangover.

Every year since I was about 10, I remember feeling a little letdown after Christmas. It's possible that my post-holiday blues as started earlier, but I associate that Christmas crash with dancing in The Nutcracker. We'd rehearse and rehearse and rehearse for what seemed like years, and then bam! It was over after just a couple of performances. All of that time and energy put into preparing just vanished. Everything was back to normal. I found it terribly depressing.

Jolly Gingerbread Men

I stopped studying ballet after just a couple of Nutcrackers, but the holiday letdown remained. And it's clearly not just the shopping and preparing and cooking and cleaning and party-hosting that does it. Because Westley seems to have it too.

I'm starting to think that this is when the "holiday" should really start. This is the time for pajama'd movie-watching, warm-beverage sipping, kisses under the mistletoe. Instead of going back to normal, things should go forward. To relaxation!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go change into my pajamas and whip up another batch of gluten-free gingerbread men.

.....................................