Sunday, December 19, 2010

My (not so) Secret Cheese Dip Recipe: What I'm Makin Monday

I'm not a cook by any means, but I'm learning ok?

So when I offered to help out with some snacks for a friend's baby shower I was reluctant to choose anything I'd have to make.

I read off the list of my options to a friend at work.

"Fruit or veggie platter, chips and queso, cake..."

My friend suggested I take the the chips and queso because it's not hard to make, and it's inexpensive.

At first I was intimidated by the idea of making something myself, but she told me a secret recipe with only two ingredients: Velveeta cheese and two cans of Rotel.
GENIUS. I thought. I'd make this yummy dip and everyone would think I spent an hour slaving by hand to make it so tasty *evil laugh*.

Little did I know my secret recipe wasn't so secret after all. In fact, the husband of the mama-to-be made that very same cheese dip when we visited them days before the shower.

Then at the shower, when I was running late and resorted to making the cheese dip at the party, all the ladies oohed and aahhed about it being their favorite way to make a sauce for chips.
So, it may not be top secret, in fact, I believe I saw the very recipe on the side of the Rotel can. But I still got to feel like a cook for 30 seconds, nonetheless.
My beautiful friend and mama-to-be!
I'm going to work on cooking more next year. I say this every year but I'm REALLY going to work on it this time! I have a game plan. I'll decide what I'm making, give my husband a grocery list, and he'll buy the stuff I need while I'm at work. Then I'll cook when I get home. Finding the ingredients at the store is half my battle. So maybe if I make him do that part I can conquer the kitchen.

Another challenge for me is finding recipes I like and can understand. I'm going to resubscribe to E-Mealz and pull your submitted recipes from here (link also now in my sidebar). If When I make it, I'll link to your shared recipe. It's my effort to be more domestic, and to eat better. Thanks for your help!

What did you make? Link up!

What I'm Making Monday


(highlight ctl+c)