Thursday, January 13, 2011

10 Things I'll do differently next time around

I often think about what I'll do differently with my next pregnancy/birth/child. Pregnancy was SO FUN. I really enjoyed it. Every bit, right down to my cankles. In fact, I was a little obsessed with my cankles. Still am.

I don't have any regrets, but there are some things I didn't do with Lil' J that I want to try next time. You know, new experiments to do with my next victim. So without further adieu, here's my growing list of "next time arounds."

1. Not tell anyone I'm pregnant until I'm extremely fat. Not even my husband (kidding... sorta). Actually, it would be cool if I didn't even know until I was really fat.
2. I'll get a 3D/4D Ultrasound. It's one thing I didn't do with Lil' J that I wish I had.
3. Whatever my due date is, I'm adding a week to it from the start and calling that my due date. I know no baby of mine is going to be early, so I might as well expect it to be at least a week late. That way when I'm a week late (really two weeks) it won't be so stressful.
4. I won't find out the gender. I'm still not sure I'm brave enough to follow through with this. Maybe with baby #3. But I figure baby #2 doesn't matter if it's a girl or boy cause I'll be happy for Lil' J to have a sister close in age, but I'll also be just as happy to have one of each out of the way. If I have two girls I'll be dying to know if #3 is a boy. So it's the perfect opportunity for a surprise baby.
5. Buy cute maternity clothes. I was so excited I didn't need special maternity clothes, but I sorta wish I had. I think getting a few comfy maternity jeans and shirts can be something I have to look forward to with baby #2.
6. Take more bare belly photos. I only have a few from my maternity shoot with Tara and I wasn't even that big. I want to take a photo on the way to the hospital with skin and all.
7. Give birth in water. This isn't mandatory but I think it could be cool. Unless of course I get induced again. If that's the case I want an epidural right away. Which leads us to #8...
8. I'm getting the epidural ASAP. I waited as long as I could before, which was cool. My water broke and I was 5 centimeters dilated, but next time, just give me the drugs when I get there.
9. Give him/her a binky right away. It doesn't have to be habit-forming, but I'd like the kid to like them. Maybe he/she would have more of a chance if I actually gave him/her one from the start. No milk is coming out of the binky and I have yet to meet a baby who prefers a non-food producing binky over eating.
10. Move him/her to their own bed sooner. Like maybe even right away. Ok, maybe not that soon, but I'm not going to wait 5 months next time.

I think of more of these things daily, but I imagine I'll forget most of them by the time it's time for #2.