Thursday, April 15, 2010

I HATE Shoes... Or I So I Thought

I've always been a prissy girl. I've forever loved to get all dolled up especially when it comes to dresses. But one thing that's been sort of against the grain among my girlie instincts is my distaste for shoes. So much so that I don't even pay attention to the shoes I put on my feet sometimes, which is probably why I wound up wearing mismatched shoes to work last week. True story.

I've never really liked shoes that much. Part of that I attribute to the fact that I wear a size 11... 11 WIDE now thanks to pregnancy. There's hardly anything cute in my size, and I don't like spending a fortune on things that just sit on my feet and get walked in. That said, I DO NOT share the same aversion for my daughters shoes. Oh, it's quite the opposite. I can't stop buying shoes.

I think it has to do with the fact that they aren't the size of clown shoes. Miniature-anything is usually cuter than most extra-large things, so looking at these tiny shoes and socks for my baby girl just gets me all giddy inside.
Like her clothing, I've been trying to spread out the sizes I buy, and since I've heard certain types of soles aren't good for babies to wear until they're walking, I've stuck with booties and shoes like Robeez. I haven't bought a TON or anything but I have scored some pretty good deals on about seven pair. Being the bargain shopper I am, I've been buying some at consignment sales and eBay. I got these pink boots brand new at a consignment sale for under $10! Another thing I've been completely obsessing over are socks that look like shoes. I think it's an ingenious idea, especially for babies who have a hard time keeping their shoes on. I found my first pair at a consignment sale and bought five pair for $3.50. These styles are normally way more so I was happy with my find! I hear socks are something you loose on every trip out, so I'm trying to prepare myself to not flip out when that happens, I'm also kinda stocking up so I don't run out. For her first year of life Baby Girl already has over 28 pairs of socks that look like shoes (I'm sure I have at least another three pair somewhere of the cowgirl style but I had already misplaced them before this picture).
I'm not sure how many is too many or if there is such a thing, but I do know that I have found a new love for shoes… Baby shoes that is, in a size much smaller than 11.
***
This post was originally written for my Parenting.com Blog on Project Pregnancy. You can find more of my pregnancy rants there!