Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Music for Labor? My Labor Playlists

I was reading the birth story of a friend who recently had a baby... Without and epidural, and only a shot of morphine in the butt (can I get one of those?). She's a champ! I knew that before she had this baby, but reading her story really testified to that once again.

She wrote a list of things to help with an unmedicated childbirth and one of the things she wrote about having during her labor which REALLY struck me as interesting was different music playlists. Recently, when my husband and I toured the hospital I'll be delivering at one of the nurses mentioned we can bring whatever kind of sound system we like. Once I got t he idea of subwoofers out of my head I remembered Kim and her ipod playlists. Hey... I have an ipod, and we have some ipod speakers, fun!!

So now I'm getting into the whole idea of creating playlists to help me through labor. Maybe some Yanni and other classical music for the beginning parts, maybe a churchy music playlist, and then an upbeat playlist for pushing.

I've also heard focal points are a good thing to have during labor, and if I'm not focusing on a shiny push present, I have another option.

My friend Emily has an uncle who's a composer, pianist and videographer (I know, a triple threat, watch out!) his name is Curtis Johnsen and he created a really cool video called Ambiessence, with about 45 minutes of beautiful photographs, video and music. She sent me one to check out and I've really been enjoying it. It's a nice montage, and I think could be fun to watch while I'm in labor, probably early labor while I'm at home, and we'll see how it goes when it's time to treck to the hospital.
It's already been fun to watch while I'm just relaxing around the house (between my nesting spurts). You can watch some of the video here.
So... I have this video, I have an ipod, and I'm working on some playlists. Any song suggestions?

Here's what I have so far:

Relaxation playlist:
"Almost a Whisper"- Yanni
"Enchanted"- Yanni
"In the Morning Light"-Yanni
"Nostalgia"- Yanni
"Butterfly Dance"-Yanni
"Love"- Keyshia Cole
"Falling Slowly"- Kris Allen (love him)
"On Bended Knee"- Boyz II Men
"Realize"- Colbie Caillat
"Capri"- Colbie Caillat
"Jesus Take The Wheel"- Carrie Underwood

Church music playlist:
"I Stand All Amazed"
"His Hands"
"I Walk By Faith"
"A Child's Prayer"
"Psalm 23" by Michael Olson

Upbeat playlist:
"Top Back"- T.I.
"Party Like a Rock Star"- Shop Boyz
"Going Down"- Young Joc
"Billy Jean"- Michael Jackson
"The New Workout Plan"- Kanye West
"What Do You Want From Me?"- Adam Lambert
"Single Ladies"- Beyonce
"Over"- Drake
"If You Seek Amy"-Britney Spears
"Gimmie More"- Britney Spears
"3"- Britney Spears
"Circus"- Britney Spears (yes, I'm a fan, good for working out!)
"Halo"- Beyonce
"Over"-Drake (my labor theme song)

Meeting Baby Playlist
"Amazing"- Janelle
"Isn't She Lovely"- Stevie Wonder
"My Girl"- The Temptations
"Bubbly"- Colbie Caillat
"Capri"-Colbie Caillat
"Daughters"- John Mayer
"The Reason"- Hoobastank
"Ever Ever After"- Carrie Underwood
"I Hope You Dance" -Lee Ann Womack
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

And what would a labor playlist be without the classic: "Push it": Salt-N-Pepa.

It'll be interesting to see what tune Baby Girl is born to... Rap, R&B, Classical, Churchy? Whatever it is I'm sure it will be a song we remember forever.

Looking for something to watch/listen to during labor? You can get the Ambiessence DVD for $20 by emailing erdickey@gmail.com, or first you can try your luck at winning one here!!

**HOW TO ENTER**
Just leave me a comment with a playlist song suggestion! That's all!

*FOR AN EXTRA ENTRY*
You double your chances if you're a follower of my blog! Good luck!

Giveaway ends April 24th at 11:59pm! Random.org will choose my winner!