Sunday, December 5, 2010

How to Make DIY Wall Letters: What I'm Makin' Monday

I've been meaning to post about this for a long time, but I never got around to it because I forgot to import my photos.

Before my daughter was born I decorated wooden wall letters to hang in her nursery, over her diaper changer. I looked at buying some but thought a personal touch would not only save me some money, but be a fun way to get exactly what I was looking for. It didn't take much time, and I had nothing but it when I was waiting for her to arrive!
(This isn't mine but it's an example of a finished product)
I'm not much of a painter myself so I used scrapbook paper to get a clean look with a pretty finish that makes it look like it was painted on!
{All you need} 
Is a little modge podge, paint, the letters, an X-ACTO knife, a little sand paper, and some scrapbook paper, and you're good to go!

I ordered my daughter's letters off Ebay. I got 10" letters for a couple dollars each from a place like this.

{Step 1} 
I painted the backs and sides of the letters.
{Step 2} 
Spread Modge Podge all over the letter then placed the scrapbook paper over top, and put more modge podge on top.
{Step 3} 
Then I used my X-ACTO-knife to trace/cut around the edges of the letters with the scrapbook paper I picked out.
{Step 4}
Sand around the edges to smooth out the paper next to the wood.

{Step 5-Optional} 
To make it pretty and hang it up I tacked some satin ribbon to the back of the letters and hung them up in her nursery!
 Trust me, it looks marvelous!

Another example: Source.
What did you make?

What I'm Making Monday


(highlight ctl+c)