Saturday, March 12, 2011

Expectant Aesthetics

For a second, I thought I was losing my mind.

Something looks wrong here. No, it doesn't. Wait...yes it does!

Then I spotted the change: Starbucks' Web site has a new font. I don't remember what it was before (probably some version of Helvetica), but it looks like Trebuchet now. And it's more spring green-y. And while I probably would have noticed this before I got pregnant, I'm not sure it would've annoyed me so much.

(Incidentally, I know that because I live where I do, I'm supposed to love some cool, little-known coffee shop favored by serious writerly types with stylish laptops. And I do love a couple of those. But I really dig Starbucks coffee.)

Now that I'm gestating, my tastes have changed - and not just in my mouth. The look and feel of everything has started to get on my nerves. My furniture seems all wrong, style-wise, and I'm suddenly having a powerful "craving" for curtains. Clothes that I used to love no longer look right to me even though, for the most part, they still fit perfectly. I had to change my default radio station. Once-funny jokes now rub me the wrong way. And don't get me started on my hair.

Meh
I need a bangs trim...and an attitude adjustment.

I don't actually know if my new grumpiness aesthetic has anything to do with being pregnant. But if pregnancy hormones made me sensitive to wheat and soy and make my once-stick-straight hair wavy the first time around, why shouldn't they affect my taste in movies (and music, and fashion, and fonts)?

* * *
Speaking of fonts, my blog has also been driving me crazy as of late. And its colors are much quicker and easier to monkey with than those on my living room walls! I'm going to do my best to keep from changing the look of things around here at random intervals, but it may take me a while to find a layout that doesn't annoy my picky pregnant brain.

.....................................