Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cocoa Bead Designs Jewelry: Sponsor #24

Short story: I.. The self-proclaimed "Baby Makin' Machine," found making a baby isn't as easy as I had hoped. So to take my mind off baby makin' I'm spending a month raising money to help March of Dimes babies. Read the long story about how this fundraiser got started here!
Read my NEW (10/14) latest TTC update here.

One thing I know every woman loves or could use is a nice pair of earrings. I don't wear earrings much, but whenever I do I think "I should wear these more often!" They are one way to spice up an outfit in a snap!

Our next fundraiser sponsor is Careen, who makes handmade earrings at Cocoa Bead Designs.

Careen is a 23 years old and just graduated in May from Biola University in La Mirada, CA with a degree in communication disorders. She recently moved back to my hometown of San Luis Obispo, CA. She plans to go to grad school in the next couple of years, but in the mean time she's looking to find a job in San Luis Obispo, while also working at my parent’s flower shop and making jewelry on the side!

"I have set up a little table in my room where I create all of my jewelry," Careen said. "My family is probably the biggest fan and supporter of my work. My mom, dad, and sister are the one’s that I run all of my earrings by before I post them on etsy. My sister likes to call herself my 'quality control officer.'"

She said she's always loved crafting but she has her college roommate to thank for teaching her the tricks of the jewelry trade.
"I found out very quickly that this was something I loved to do," she said. "Soon after that, people would comment on how beautiful the jewelry we were making was and it was then that we decided to open up a little 'jewelry boutique' outside of our dorm room. It was so much fun to see our friends wearing our original jewelry pieces around school. When I graduated I lost my little venue and decided that I would start an etsy shop. So far I’m having a marvelous time."

She likes that she has her own little place to display her work.

"I love to make jewelry," she said. "But if I kept all the stuff I made my dresser would be covered in nothing but earrings! I already have way to many to begin with, so it’s nice to be able to sell my creations and know that they are going to a good home : ) I also have loved learning how to take pictures and be creative in that aspect."She says she's definitely a perfectionist, so sometimes it takes her a long time to finish a pair of earrings.

"I’d say the longest I’ve ever spent on a pair of earrings is 2.5 hours!" Careen said. "It just depends on the earrings and if I like my design the first time. I’m known for taking my pieces apart many times before they are exactly what I had imagined."
To her making jewelry isn't just a business now, it's a hobby too.

"I love making jewelry, and I love to see people wearing my jewelry," she said. "It really instills a sense of pride in me to think that someone loves and is wearing something I have created with my own two hands. I’ve never thought of myself as a business woman, but I have strangely begun to love it. I won’t lie, it is also nice to make a little extra money on the side : )"
To learn more about this awesome designer check out Her Blog.

Now Careen is generously donating a beautiful pair of earrings (pictured below) to one lucky donor! She said these took awhile to make, and they were created with love! If you were to buy these in her shop they would be $28, but if you donate just $15 you could win them as a bonus for FREE!
If you donate just $15 to the charity I'll give you 15 tickets to win this prize from Cocoa Bead Designs! Not only are you helping a charity but you get 15 tickets in our GIANT drawing! AND you get a GUARANTEED prize from ME! One of which can be two of these cute baby headbands and bows! Look I made these!! (Or you can get a custom doggie bandanna instead) You can donate by clicking the "chip in" button to the right or by clicking here. (Paypal is NOT associated with the drawing, just with donations. Questions about the drawing? Email me at babymakingmachine{at}gmail.com)

This is just one of more than 40 prizes (worth over $1500) that's up for grabs in the drawing! See the full list here. 100% of the funds raised are going to March of Dimes, to help save babies!

Read how this got started here!
Check out all of the prizes here!
Enter my 2nd Cutest Baby Contest here!
Have a giveaway? List it here! Offer extra entries to your peeps for donating!